SC - Foodie "thingies"

Diana L Skaggs upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Thu Oct 5 04:46:38 PDT 2000

Catherine Deville wrote:

> > 1 cup Mexican Chocolate, crushed tablets [food processor or a small war
> > band will do.  Can leave a few chunky bits.]
>
> While I may be able to get it by making a special trip to one of the Latin
> ethnic food stores, I've never seen mexican chocolate tablets in the stores
> here in Atlanta. Can I substitute?  Someone was talking about substituting
> chocolate bars a bit back... will that work, or will the end result be
> quite different?  I know that different chocolate products have different
> cocoa butter levels... what would be my best choices in substituting?

Try sweet dark baker's chocolate as probably the best substitute, but
the texture of Mexican chocolate is much more granular, due to both a
slightly coarser grind of the chocolate liquor and also to undissolved
sugar. I assume that in dishes not calling for a lot of liquid (as this
bread seems to be) that the granular quality of the Mexican chocolate
would remain, to some extent, a part of the finished product, and it
would be hard to get a perfect match.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy