SC - Re: Ruzzige cake

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 10 06:36:21 PDT 2000

> > I ran a temperature check with an oven
> > thermometer -- 500 to 550 degrees F on the low setting.
>
> Um...the low setting was 500 degrees?

It was obviously a thermostat problem.  The oven was between 500 and 550 F
no matter what it was set at.

> But, according to the rules that you would not stray from the
> ingredients
> list, the only thickener you could have added was rice flour.

True, and I did not have any, so my daze saved me from error.

> > What I thought would be the least popular dish at the feast
> turned out to be
> > the one I received the most compliments over.
>
> The fish was excellent and has given hope to the rest of us
> poor schlubs
> who are trying to change Ansteorran attitudes.
>

> Gunthar

The problem may be that fish is rather delicate and many of our cooks are
inexperienced in preparing it.  For what we do, a quick, simple cooking
method and an enhancing sauce are probably better than some of the more
elaborate recipes.

Another problem is most fish is a budget buster in Ansteorra.  Frozen
whiting at $1.50/lb is reasonable, but the texture of the meat limits some
of the recipes.

Bear