SC - OP recipe request

Diana L Skaggs upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Tue Oct 10 20:22:35 PDT 2000

Diana L Skaggs wrote:

> This recipe reminds me of my Gramma Staples' meatloaf.  She would put a
> layer of meatloaf mix in the bottom of the pan, then make little
> depressions and fill with whatever leftovers she had on hand.  Then, she
> covered it with the rest of the meat.  After baking, I never could remember
> where she put each item.  I never minded the mac & cheese or corn, but darn
> I hated getting the piece with the leftover spinach! Leanna

Flashback to childhood traumas...

On occasion my Dad would be called upon to work his dubious kitchen
miracles, and a common element in these acts of faith was meatloaf with
Stuff in it... he always managed to include something that seemed to
look up at you from the plate, generally either hard-boiled eggs or
little onions.

I still can't look at meatloaf with Stuff in it without seeing in my
mind's eye (_not_ a pearl onion in meat loaf, despite appearances) the
early 30's "Our Gang" short subject where Dickie Moore and Stymie Beard
make the fundraiser cake with assorted Stuff in it, useful things like
rubber gloves, hot water bottles, a rat trap, etc. And then I have to
hear that sound... "Wheeeep! Whooooowwppp!"

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com