SC - OP recipe request

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 11 13:36:54 PDT 2000

Jenne Heise wrote:

> > >To expand the topic, has anyone (female) tried some of the aprons they
> > >show in the German woodcuts? I have a good picture of one that seems to be
> > >similar to the 'balloon jumpers that were fashionable for baby girls a
> > >while back: a v-neck collar with farbric gathered onto it front and back..
> > >the fabric is sewn up the sides (looks like) to make a tube but with deep
> > >armholes.
> > I'd love to see some pictures.  Can you point me in the right direction?
> > Olwen
>
> I _THINK_ it might be die mode der gottischen frau (The gothic mode in
> women's dress) or in the Polish-Bohemian miscellany. I 'll go look when I
> get home.

It also sounds very like the over gowns that you see women wearing in
the _Manesse Codex_ (one of my favorite documents!). It is fairly easy
to find plates from it if not a copy of the whole thing (they have two
copies at UO). Very simple outlines.

When I'm cooking I tend to wear fairly simple clothing, and either an
apron or a towel tied around my waist. I actually have a set of cotton
aprons with lettering on them that says "Chez Elaine", and either
'staff' or 'Le Chef' on the upper edge. Silly- but they keep the food of
my clothes and everyone knows who's in charge!

An Tirians may remember the Egil's where I was called up for a service
award while I was making the Princess' dinner, and forgot to take off my
apron. There I was, in front of the king, covered with pork grease...

'Lainie