SC - FWD: Syrup of Lemons

Serian serian at uswest.net
Sun Oct 15 18:08:40 PDT 2000

Does anyone on this list happen to know whether Italians drank cider in
period?  Platina only refers to eating apples, although he notes that
"their juice easily turns to vinegar when pressed..."  Likewise,
Castelvetro only talks about eating apples.  I also didn't see anything
definitive in the Florileguim.  I'm cooking an Italian feast next month
for a Canton which is in the middle of apple country, with cider
available at roadside stands.  I'd love to serve it if I can be fairly
sure it would be appropriate.  Otherwise, I'll be sticking to
syrup-based beverages {still experimenting with}.  Any assistance would
be appreciated {if it matters, the feast is supposed to be set in
Florence 1495, so I'm only serving what I can document to that time}.

John le Burguillun