SC - I am So Ashamed! (long)

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 26 14:42:20 PDT 2000

> > So, I chilled the broth to seperate the fat and proceeded to make my
>pastry      So,  I don't have to do much else with the chicken fat?  I was
>thinking
>about any clinging gelatin stock,  and a second bit of simmering gently in
>water oughta clean it,

I didn't fuss over it, since the stock was going for more gravy for the same
pie it didn't seem to matter if a minor bit got in the crust. If I was
experimenting and trying to get a pure fat so as not to 'contaminate' the
flavor of my crust, I do as you suggest and/or put it through a strainer.

>     Caointiarn  (who's next project is learning "the technique"  to make
>perfect pie crust)

I did this a few years ago.  Keep everything cold.  To chill your contertop,
place a jelly roll pan (cookie sheet w/ sides) on the counter, put ice cubes
in it and sprinkle salt over.  Let it sit 5 or 10 minutes.  Don't over work
the fat/dough before the water goes in, it should be crumby not pasty.
Don't overwork it once the water is in, it should be crumbs sticking
together, not paste.  If flaky, appearance is key to the dish you are
making, make plenty of dough so that you don't have to use re-rolled pieces
as they won't be as flaky.  If you do have to re-roll, cut your top piece
first, then lay the trimmings in a pile and roll.  Don't mash like
play-dough into a pasty ball as the flaky-ness is ruined that way.  Use the
second rolling for the base as it won't show.

Once I got good at regular pastry, I set my sights on puff pastry.  I found
the recipe and instructions in Richard Grausman's "At Home with the French
Classics" to be good. This book teaches 'classic' techniques with household
equipment and volumes rather than professional.  His instructions and
explanations are very clear.

- ---
Pate Demi-feuilletee (Rough Puff or Half-Puff Pastry)

To make 2 and 1/2 pounds of pastry
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup cold water
1 lb cold, unsalted butter cut into 1/2 inch cubes

1. Place the flour in a large bowl and make a well in the center.  Place the
salt, water, and butter in the well.  Quickly and gently blend all of the
ingredients together using your fingertips.

2. As soon as all of the ingredients begin to stick together, transfer the
contents of the bowl to a sheet of plastic wrap and, with your hands, form
the mass into a rectangle approximately 7 x 10 inches.  Wrap tightly in the
plastic and run your rolling pin over the surface of the wrapped dough to
make it tighter and more compact.  Refrigerate for 15 minutes or freeze for
5 minutes. At this point, the dough will be very rough looking.  (With
obvious butter chunks - Bonne)

3. Working on a cold, lightly floured surface, give the dough four turns as
follows: Roll it out into a 20 x 8 inch rectangle with one short side facing
you; fold in thirds as you would a letter and give it one quarter turn to
the right or left  You now have given the dough one turn.  Repeat this
rolling and turning three more times.  Keep the work surface, dough, and
rolling pin lightly floured, but brush off any excess flour from the dough
before folding.

4.  Refrigerate the pastry dough for 15 minutes (or longer).  It can be used
after these 4 turns, or it can be given two additional turns before use. The
pastry will rise just as much with 4 turns as with 6, but the layers after 6
turns will be thinner, making the finsihed pastry more tender.

The pastry will keep for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator, or for several
months in the freexer.  It sould be kept tightly wrapped in the plastic
wrap.  To use less than a whole recipe, mark the finished dough into five
equal portions (1/2 pound each) and cut off what you need. Wrap and store
the remainder.
- ---
Darn, now I want to make some and make Palmiers.

Good Luck,
Bonne