SC - I am So Ashamed! (long)

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Thu Oct 26 15:38:27 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/26/2000 10:11:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gwalli at ptc.com writes:

<< It makes me wonder sometimes if it's not in order to teach a class on
 judging good and bad documentation. Not from an A&S competition
 perspective, mind you, but from a lay researcher looking for reliable
 sources perspective. >>

Actually, I did just such a class at Pennsic this year, called "How to Choose
a 'Period' Cookbook", with the focus being on how to tell if the recipes
presented in the book are actually period or not, and how accurately they
were redacted.  I also discussed several sources which just give the
originals and English translations, and mentioned checking the translation if
you have the knowledge to do so.

I taught it twice, and at each session had some people who were new to period
cooking (one who told me that she waited until she could take my class before
buying any cookbooks, so she would know what to look for - woohoo!) and some
who were old hands and wanted to see how I looked at things.  Everyone seemed
to enjoy it.  I had a couple of comments on things to add to my handout, but
no one seemed to take issue with my suggestions.

Brangwayna Morgan