SC - Scottish oatcakes

pat fee lcatherinemc at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 26 15:30:26 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/26/2000 4:12:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
SCAbeathog at cs.com writes:

<< Please forgive me for jumping into what may be the end of a thread, but I
am
 a little confused.  Do we need to concern ourselves with what the peasants
 ate if planning a SCA feast?  Are we not all considered to be nobles?  Would
 spices, etc. known in the Middle Ages be available to us (in persona)? >>

Not necessarily *need to concern ourselves* with peasant cooking  - although
I've seen more than one event which offers either a "peasant's feast" or a
"below the salt feast" - the first being (at least to me) a simple meal which
is served to everyone rather than the 2 or 3 course feast, and the second a
less elaborate meal served as a cheaper option to a full feast which is also
served.  There are those of us who want to know everything there is to know
about any cooking that went on in the Middle Ages, whether we ever use it in
the SCA or not.

And yes, in persona (assuming all personas are noble), most of the spices
should be available to us, although that would of course depend on the time
and culture of your persona.

Brangwayna Morgan