SC - period potted food

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Oct 26 23:37:42 PDT 2000

Constance de la Rose replied to what I said:
> stefan at texas.net writes:
> >  And this is something you may need to plan a backup for. At one of
> >  our baronial feasts it was planned to have roast venison. Since the
> >  hunters were not as skillful/lucky as they said they would be, the
> >  amount of venison was quite a lot less than expected and we ended up
> >  with venison stew instead. It's not like you can just make an
> >  emergency run to the local grocery for more.
>
> Actually, there is a source where you can buy venison and other specialty
> meats.  Not cheap, but it is a lovely source for those who want to do small
> dinners or the occasional A&S project with quail, partridge, or venison (just
> to name a few.  And they are one the web.  (Yes, I have made occasional use
> of them and found them to be excellent both in the product and their customer
> service)

I didn't say you couldn't buy venison. I said you most likely can't get it
in a last minute emergency run to your local grocery store.

For more sources on getting unusual meats and other items check this
file in the FOOD section of my files:
food-sources-msg  (44K)  5/10/00    Modern sources for unusual medieval
meats
                                       and other foods.

We've had a number of discussions on this, including one where Gunthar
was trying to local such non-European items as armadillo and rattlesnake.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net