SC - Where to Get Historic Food Plants and Seeds

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Fri Oct 27 05:17:35 PDT 2000

and then Betty Cook wrote:

> None of the three recipes has the modification Adamantius made of
> chopping up a quince.

That is true, which is why I specifically mentioned having cut the extra
quince into thirds, 120 degree sectors, and my reasons for doing so.
Which, if one wants to quibble, isn't what most people think of when
using the word "chopping", and each of the thirds probably would
constitute a single serving anyway, so even on the plate there is no
character of having in front of you a serving of chopped quinces,
rather, a third of a whole, large quince.  I really don't feel this is
much of an issue in the effectiveness of the recreation; it was merely a
discretionary choice based on the presence of a lot of empty space in
the pastry, and an extra quince, not enough to cook on its own, and with
me not in the mood for Byzantine murri or anything else calling for
quinces as an ingredient.

As already stated, my reasons for doing this had nothing to do with
meeting any preconceived modern notions of how a fruit pie should look,
and I suspect anybody who actually saw the pastry would agree. Service
(such as it was) was also an indicator; a quarter of the lid (not the
sides) was removed, more or less surgically excised, with the first
thing you saw was a whole quince. For all that, what people actually ate
first was the thirds.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy