SC - "Obra de Agricultura"

harper@idt.net harper at idt.net
Mon Oct 30 20:16:58 PST 2000

At 5:10 PM -0500 10/30/00, Jenne Heise wrote:

(quoting me)

>  > My main reaction is that although some of these may be things you can
>>  find period recipes for, almost all of them are things you can find
>>  modern recipes for. So your diners aren't going to learn much about
>>  period German food--they are already familiar with Bratwurst and
>>  sauerbraten and apple strudel, assuming they ever eat in modern
>>  German restaurants. It would be a more interesting feast if you
>>  started by going through some period German cookbooks and tried to
>>  get a feel for what their meals were like--including things that
>>  aren't already familiar.
>>

>Well, I might suggest trying, if the idea is to give the diners an idea of
>what period German food was like, doing some research involving period
>menu resources and archaeological resources, etc. to see if those recipes
>were typical or not.
>
>Just because something is familiar to the modern audience is no reason to
>disqualify it.

I wasn't suggesting disqualifying things because they were familiar.
Bread is familiar--and common in medieval dining.

I was suggesting that the way to create a menu was to start with a
period cookbook rather than starting with a list of ethnic foods that
you were already familiar with, creating a menu limited to ones that
might be period, and then finding substitutes for any that turned out
to be clearly OOP.  That was how it appeared to me that the menu
being discussed had been created.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/