SC - Sauer Kraut mit saurem Raum und Butter-recipe

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Oct 23 18:35:50 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/23/00 5:37:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jenne at mail.browser.net writes:

> Ooh ooh ooh can you quote with translations? This would be a great
> resource for E. Europe... (no, I'm not sick of Rumpolt yet!)
>
> --
> Jadwiga Zajaczkowa,

This was served at the Silver Rhyll Harvest Feast that I cooked a couple of
years ago. Good stuff. :-)

Sauer Kraut mit saurem Raum und Butter
Sauerkraut with Sour Cream and Butter
(from ein New Kochbock. Max Rumpolt. 1581 CE)
(Translation by Veloise Armstrong)
Redaction copyright c 2000 L. J. Spencer, Jr.

117. Gehackt saures Kraut ist auch nicht boss/ wenns gesotten/ ist/ so nacht
mans ab mit saurem Raum und Butter.

117. Chopped sauerkraut is not bad when it is boiled, so one prepares it with
sour cream and butter.

1 LB Saurkraut
1/2 stick Butter
1/2 cp. Sour Cream

Put sauerkraut into a medium pan. Barely cover with water. Boil until tender.
Drain. Stir in butter and sour cream. Serve.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol