SC - help on documentation

Edgar, Terry EdgarT at JM.com
Tue Oct 24 13:23:41 PDT 2000

Your line of logic stands.

Thank you for your input.

Rivka

- -----Original Message-----
From: david friedman [mailto:ddfr at best.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2000 1:45 PM
To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
Subject: Re: SC - help on documentation

At 1:11 PM -0600 10/23/00, Edgar, Terry wrote:
>Greetings!
>
>I need a little help regarding documentation.  Here is my delema.
>
>First:  My grandmother taught me to cook.  Many of the things I make best
>are done without a recipe.  This has been handed down from generation to
>generation for a long time.   I must assume that most everyone in the
middle
>ages did not have access to cook books and cooked in this same way.
>Therefore, my question is this:  If I have a dish for which I can not find
>documentation but can find documentation to support it's ingredients, it's
>spices, the way in which it was cooked, etc.  Would this suffice as
>documentation?

That depends what you mean by "suffice." If you mean "would it make
it acceptable as a dish in a feast for your group," the answer
depends on the group; there are lots of places where dishes are
acceptable not only without documentation but when they are obviously
out of period. If you mean "would it get me a good score in an A&S
contest," that again depends on the particular area, contest, and
judges.

If what you mean is "is that a good reason for me to believe the dish
is period, and justification for telling other people that it is
period," then in my opinion the answer is "no." Think about the
difference between "from generation to generation for a long time"
and "more than four hundred years." A dish that was invented two
hundred years ago would be seen now as having been handed down from
generation to generation for a long time, and the odds are that the
people cooking it would have no idea how many generations it actually
was. Traditional old world cuisines contain lots of New World
ingredients, which we know they didn't have until the sixteenth
century, and many of which don't seem to have been in general use
until after our period. Examples are tomatoes in Italian cooking,
potatoes in Irish, and both in Middle Eastern.

And you can't solve that problem by simply eliminating dishes with
New World ingredients, or substituting. That simply removes the
dishes that are most obviously OOP, leaving whichever ones differ
from period recipes in less obvious ways.

>   I would expect, for example, that there many ways to cook
>cabbage, not all of them listed in a cook book.  (this is a simple
>hypothetical example)  Take fried cabbage.  How I would make it: I would
cut
>up cabbage into small pieces, put it in a cooking pot with water, some kind
>of fat and salt. Cook it down until the water was cooked out and simmer the
>cabbage in the oil and serve.  Although there is probably a recipe
somewhere
>for this, I didn't get the above method from one.  So assuming there wasn't
>this exact recipe, but I could find documentation for cabbage, oil, salt
>water and cooking pot, would that not make it period?

We know that there was cotton cloth in period, blue dye, and brass.
Does that make a pair of denim bluejeans with snaps and buttons
instead of a zipper period?

Or in other words, my answer is again "no." A cuisine is not simply
defined by its ingredients. Consider the difference between the meal
a chinese cook would produce from the ingredients in a modern
American grocery store and the meal an American would produce from
the same ingredients. Different cuisines make use of the same
ingredients in very different ways.

>Also, in mundania for example there are hundreds of ways to make potato
>salad.  It seems everyone makes it a little different.  Would this not hold
>true in the middle ages with the appropriate food of course?

Probably. It follows that there are probably period dishes for which
no recipe survives. Hence the fact that we don't have a recipe for
something doesn't prove it is out of period--just as the fact that I
don't know that you are posting from Tasmania doesn't prove that you
are not. But concluding from the fact that you might be posting from
Tasmania that you must be doing so makes no sense. Nor does
concluding from the fact that we don't know that a particular dish
isn't period that it must be period.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/