SC - Laws re: serving venison in PA

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Oct 26 13:05:56 PDT 2000

I got a message back from my brother.  He spoke to a friend of his on the
Game Commission, who said that as far as he personally is concerned, serving
legally hunted venison at something like an SCA event is not a problem, and
that game gets served at a variety of club gatherings every year.

If you are advertising the dinner and the fact that it contains venison/game
to the public as a profit maker, then it's commercialization of wildlife and
is a problem.  So serving it at something like a church or fire hall supper
which is designed as a fundraiser for the sponsoring group would be illegal.
But a private event like an SCA feast would not be a problem unless the feast
was specifically designed as a fund-raiser, and even then it's iffy.

Now mind you, my brother has not seen the exact wording of the law and wants
to make it clear that other people might interpret it differently, especially
if the use was close to the "serving venison for profit" line.  This also
applies only to Pennsylvania.

Brangwayna Morgan