SC - non-member submission - visitor to list

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Oct 31 08:17:56 PST 2000

Greetings members of this list,
My plan is to eavesdrop on this list for about 6-8 months.  The
volume is a tad overwhelming, but I'm sure I'll adjust, there was
about 4 years that I was a member of an astrology list and there
were days that well over 300 msgs would come through.
I'll introduce myself as best I can since I am clueless to the SCA-
cooks nomenclature and well.....most anything to do with SCA.

I go by the name Valkyrie de Minato Neshoba....online and, in
many circles, offline.  Just call me Val.
I'm a 38y/o female that has been a practitioner of Hermetic magic
for about 5 years and Native Am. spirituality for about 32 years .  I
have an interest in things medieval/gothic.  Clothing, music,
jewelry, home environment, etc.  My main background heritage is a
volatile mix of German, Scot and Crow Indian.
I'm getting married Friday-July 13, 2001 at 7:00pm
The wedding will be at home (my parent's actually, I moved back
here 2-1/2 yrs ago to enable me to return to school, I graduate from
a Vet-Tech prog. June '01) and it will be held outside.  There will be
a medieval/gothic flavor to the ceremony, music and decor.  After
the ceremony we want to have a nice hearty feast.  The sun will be
getting close to setting, the temperature should be cooling to a
comfortable  level(I live in Western Washington state).
One of my brother's favorite hobbies is home brewing.  He's quite
good.  He declined to make a mead for the wedding because of
expense and the fact that it will tie up his equipment too long, but
did offer to make a few different ales.  Sounded good.  I enjoy
making wine and plan to have about a dozen bottles of it ready for
the big day.
The feast itself .....well, you know how things look in our minds
compared to how things actually will be....in my mind I see a pit or
spit roasted side of pig, a rack of lamb and possibly the noisy
pheasant that comes to visit in the summer!  Hehe.  I picture bowls
of fresh, cut melon, apples and other fruits.  Baked potatoes,
baked sweet potatoes, and corn on the cob.  Baked breads of all
flavors and textures.  Plates of fresh cheeses to go with slices of
the pork and fresh breads.
So.....why am I here?   To find ways to give these items that
medieval flavor, of course!!!  *silly grin*  I don't want to slather on
Hienz hickory BBQ sauce for heaven's sake!
I'm sure some of these items (maybe the corn?) were never seen
during those periods but heck, it's the 21st century!  Got let some
of the old folks have something sorta familiar on their plates.
*smile*

So that's why I am here, I plan to watch posts, follow links, jot
down ideas and hopefully make new additions to my, somewhat
still limited, menu.
Oh, and I will be doing a large amount of the work myself.  My
fiance' and I can't afford caterers and we are paying for much of this
wedding ourselves.  My mother plans to help with the cooking and I
have had other family members offer up assistance as well, we'll
see how that pans out when crunch time comes.  But when it
comes down to the nitty gritty....it's up to me.  I
love...adore...immensely enjoy, cooking and fussing over meals
and much of the work will be started the evening before and
continued through the morning and afternoon before the  ceremony.
 I'm not a fussy, particular bride and believe it or not my biggest
concerns is how nice my dress looks and that my guests drool
over their plates.  *grin*

Any suggestions you may wish to send me are welcome, just send
to:  MinatoNeshoba at wolf-web.com
Otherwise, my plan is hunt and gather from the list for the next 6-8
months.

Be well!
Val-VdMN