SC - Rellenos with beef?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Oct 15 18:30:46 PDT 2000

Adamantius commented:
> Alternately, there's no reason why chiles stuffed with meat are any less
> rellenos than ones stuffed with cheese... for that matter I've had
> chiles rellenos made in all sorts of ways, including roasted poblanos
> into which a cold cheese mousse has been piped with a pastry bag, served
> with chipotle puree.
>
> Probably highly untraditional for some places, but still good. (And a
> week later I had stolen the dish and turned it into a tiny hors d'ouvre
> on a catering gig.)

"a tiny hors d'ouvre"? How can any thing as big as a poblano, and stuffed,
be considered "tiny"? It still seems pretty big for finger food. Did you
cut the whole one into little pieces? Is the chipotle puree served on
top? Or mixed in with the cheese inside?

And I imagine it is post 1600, but what exactly does "hors d'ouvre"
really mean? Besides tiny and expensive? :-)

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net