SC - what to do with a pumpkin's insides?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 26 11:44:28 PDT 2000

Orlaith of Storvik wrote:
>I already used some
>to try the pumpkin pie cordial I heard of (I think on this list) a couple of
>weeks ago but I still have this amount left.

You cooked it first, right?

>My cookbook says that in order
>to make pumpkin pie with it I need to make pumpkin puree (SP?).  However the
>instructions for that say cook the pumpkin then slice off the rind.  Is it
>possible to still make a pie with the precooked pumpkin?  If not any
>suggestions what I should do with it?

All pumpkin pies i know of ARE made with pre-cooked pumpkin. You can
steam the innards you have and then use it to make pie.

Instead of pumpkin pie, i used to make a sort of baked mousse /
soufflé / chiffon / Charlotte russe / Bavarian cream without gelatin
for the holidays (i list it like this because i consulted recipes for
these things before i constructed my own).

First, I lined the sides and bottom of a spring form pan with split
lady fingers which extended up past the top of the pan on the sides.
Then i put a layer of broken pecans mixed with brown sugar on top of
the bottom layer lady fingers. Caramelizes a bit in cooking, and
keeps the liquidy filling from softening the bottom lady fingers too
much.

Then, I blended canned pumpkin pretty much as one would for a pie
with sugar, spices, vanilla, and several beaten egg yolks. Then
gently blended in the stiffly whipped egg whites - i probably added a
few extra whites.

Then i poured the fluffy pumpkin mix into the pan. I baked it (i
guess at 350 F. that's my generic temperature) until the insides were
almost set - test with a straw - it should be moist but not wet. At
that point, I took it out of the oven, and let it stand until the
insides were completely set. When cool i served it with whipped cream.

I didn't have a recipe, just kinda winged it. It was much lighter
than the often heavy pumpkin pie.

Anahita al-shazhiyya