SC - Non-member submission - Japanese Cooking Sources

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Oct 28 20:10:08 PDT 2000

Elaine Koogler wrote:

> The best I can suggest is to use the book already recommended.  I can tell you
> that sushi is not period (as we think of it today).  There is a kind of
> scattered sushi (chirazushi) that I am told by some folks from Japan are
> period.  I know that Tempura was invented for the Portuguese, so is in period
> (but very hard to do for large groups).  Sorry Ras and Cariadoc, I can't provide
> documentation for any of this...it comes mostly from information in various
> Japanese cook books and history books.

I seem to recall reading a post from Lady Solveig Throndardottir (m.k.a.
Barbara Nostrand; she has done a lot of research on things Japanese) in
which she said that sushi is probably derived from a practice of packing
pickled fish in wine rice (cooked, amylase-converted, fermented sweet
rice) for transport to cities, sometime in the 17th-19th centuries...
apparently people would eat the stuff with the rice still adhering to
the fish.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy