SC - Scottish oatcakes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 26 15:07:39 PDT 2000

Catherine Deville wrote:

> Olwen said:
> > Golden Syrup.  That would be the brown Karo.
>
> as opposed to the dark Karo, right?

I imagine a medium-amber corn syrup would make a reasonable substitute,
but Golden Syrup (as far as I know, this is a trademark of a brand
called Lyle's) is probably what the recipe is talking about if it comes
from the UK. Lyle's Golden Syrup (or other brands, if any) is a
cane/beet sucrose product, very lightly caramelized, roughly the color
of a light honey. Most people won't know the difference if you use a
medium corn syrup, but to me corn syrup tastes like corn.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com