SC - Bakon Yeast

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Tue Oct 3 16:11:51 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 3 Oct 00, , that Bonne of Traquair wrote:

> In 'The Vegetarian Epicure' by Anna Thomas, in Ragout of Potatoes on pg 147,
> she lists
>
> Bakon yeast    <----- What is it?
>
> Since it is capitalized, I guess it is a trademarked product.

I never heard of it before, but a search on Google (my favorite
search engine) produced information.  It is a yeast product with a
hickory-smoked flavor.  Several web pages said it is available in
health food stores.  Manufacturer is:

Bakon Yeast, Inc.
                                  Phyl A. Ray
                                   President
                                 P.O. Box 651
                             Rhinelander WI 54501

                              BUS: 715-362-6533
                              FAX: 715-362-6533

I gather that it's a flavoring ingredient, not a leaven.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net