SC - Zoete Koek

BaronessaIlaria at aol.com BaronessaIlaria at aol.com
Tue Oct 10 16:15:34 PDT 2000

In semi-recent memory, the esteemed Gunthar posted the recipe for Zoete Koek
from "The Sensible Cook: Dutch Foodways in the Old and the New World" by
Peter G. Rose. "

Unless I did something wrong, what I have in the oven right now looks really
scary...  To make sure the recipe was copied correctly (and I think I cut &
pasted it instead of retyping it), this is what I have:

1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup milk

Sift the dry ingredients together into a large bowl. Slowly add the milk and
stir to make a dough without lumps. Pour the dough into a greased 8 X 5 X 2
3/4 inch loaf pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for about one hour, or until
a knife inserted comes out clean and the loaf is a deep brown. Cool and store.

I'm not sure exactly what's wrong, but it just seems off. Is this right,
Gunthar? And can you offer any words of advice or comfort about your
experience with the aforementioned recipe?

Many thanks.

Ilaria