SC - shortbread/-cakes & salad

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Sep 3 12:06:23 PDT 2000

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> Yes, that's it (assume exclamation point here, I have a
> partly-functional keyboard) Thanks so much.  I don't know why my brain
> has been insisting on remembering it as "icelandic chicken." (stupid
> brain)
> --Maire
>
> Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
> <snippage>
>
> > If your description is accurate, and it hasn't been heavily tweaked
> > post-primary source, I don't think it's in either the Danish
> > Harpestraeng MS, as translated by Rudolf Grewe, or in the 1931 edition
> > of its Icelandic descendant, reprinted by HG Cariadoc.
> >
> > Apart from the aforementioned chicken-in-a-rock, the only candidate I
> > can think of is Blomaeth Høns.

Mah pleasure, ma'am!

FWIW, since I was asked, I should probably make it clear that the
Blomaeth Høns recipe is #21 in Codex K of the family of manuscripts
which may or may not have been written by a 13th-century (?) physician
named Harpestrang. These recipes are believed to have been Mediterranean
in origin, but all the surviving copies are from Northern Europe, hence
the idea that this is Northern European food. I transcribed from Rudolf
Grewe's paper on these manuscripts, entitled "An Early XIIIth-Century
Northern-European Cookbook", and published by the Culinary Historians of
Boston. Some of these recipes seem to have been tacked onto a
(15th-century?) medical text, a translation of which can be found in HG
Cariadoc's Collection of Medieval and Renaissance Cookbooks entitled
something like, "From an Old Icelandic Medical Miscellany". Which is why
so many of us call that chicken in pastellum dish "Icelandic Chicken".

Hope this clarifies things!

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy