SC - Re: : Period Foods for Kids/my experiment

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Sep 4 22:53:31 PDT 2000

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Karen O wrote:
>     OH OH but  I   *DO* have Martha's book  now  -- so what is the recipe?
> I'll post what what/how it is in Martha's book  !  Having a fun time reading
> it, and deciding  what recipes to copy out for myself.
> Caointiarn

Sounds great.  I would like to compare them.  G Riley's redaction follows.

IMNTK

Ariann

Raspberry Cream
redacted by G. Riley from _Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery_

1 pint (600 ml) fresh heavy cream
3 whites of eggs
2 blades mace
1 tsp grated lemon peel (without pith)
2 oz (60 g) white sugar
1 lb (500 g) raspberries

Melt the sugar and raspberries together on a very low heat.  Strain
through a fine sieve into a bowl and let it cool. Meanwhile bring the
cream up to the boil, then take it off the heat.  Add, very carefully, the
egg whites beaten with a little cold cream and stir gently until the
custard thickens, putting the pan back on the heat from time to time to
avoid cooling too soon.  Put on one side and let it cool, then stir in the
raspberry juice.  Mix together thoroughly to get an even pink color, or
swirl the juice in with the minimum of stirring to create a marbled
effect.