SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2565

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Tue Sep 5 17:23:29 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 5 Sep 00,, that Vincent Cuenca wrote:

> I was just working on these recipes this morning (looks like we're in a
> race to the finish, Brighid!),

If you were working on the horseradish recipe last week, and are already
up to the eels, then you're a *lot* faster than me.  (Are you a native
speaker, BTW?)  I'm about 30 recipes from being done with the rough
translation, and then revision begins.  However, I don't think we're really
in a race, since we're heading for different destinations.  You're planning
to publish, I believe, and I'm most likely going to web mine.

> and I just had a thunk.  "Espinas", which
> means "spines" is also used to mean "fishbone", especially when referring
> to sardines.  Maybe he's talking about breaking the rib bones to make it
> easier to dress the fish.

That's an idea... thank you for the suggestion.

> De Nola's got some pretty wacky instructions in places anyway; a recipe he
> gives for a distilled broth for invalids advises the cook to heat a number
> of gold pieces in the fire and add them to the finished broth.  The more
> hot gold you throw in, the more the broth will be worth.

Ah, yes -- that one.  It will revive the nearly-dead, he says.  I'd love to try
it sometime.  Anyone got a few gold coins they'd like to lend me, in the
interest of culinary research?  :-)

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann