SC - My Good News... <G>

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Wed Sep 6 03:32:46 PDT 2000

>(and more inportatly, should someone write a letter to Crichton explaining
>the problems of Fab Feasts and suggest Thous. Eggs as a replacement for the
>sequel? : )  )

Sounds good to me. ;-)

Actually, Dame Alys & I just finished writing a Compleat Anachronist on
Period Food Coloring Agents. It should be available in a few months.

Henisch mentions a violet and saffron pudding, violet petals, roses,
hawthorn, carnations, and primroses. Nothing about dandelions.

Cosman lists violets, roses, primroses, floscampies ("the red wild
flower"), and various tree blossoms.  Theres s mention of heliotrope
blossoms in the hypocras recipe.  Here it is!  page 63 of the old edition
"Yellow, gold, and orange were made from saffron, yellow turnsole,
dandelion, and egg yolk." She's talking about applying or painting on
colors to the finished dishes before service.

FWIW, I don't recall finding any sources calling for dandelion
specifically, but a number of them do call for unspecified field flowers to
achieve a certain color.  So dandelion *is* a possibility for external
coloring, although it remains a remote one for inclusion in the
(non-medicinal) dish -- since dandelion flowers are bitter & are used
medicinally.

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
Author and Publisher of "Take a Thousand Eggs or More" and "A Sip Through Time"
http://www.thousandeggs.com
cindy at thousandeggs.com