SC - My Good News... <G>

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Sep 6 21:48:41 PDT 2000

Evfemia asked:
> Does anyone know where I can buy the ancient grain spelt, about how much
> it costs and where I can find period recipes for it?
>
> I'd love to include it in a feast menu someday.

There are a few tidbits of info on spelt scattered through these
files in the FOOD-BREADS-GRAINS section of my Florilegium:
bread-msg        (161K) 12/13/99    Medieval breads and grains.
flour-msg         (45K)  2/ 8/00    Types of flour. Sources. Period flour.
grains-msg        (39K)  3/31/00    Medieval grains. Recipes. Cooking.

There might be a recipe using it in a file I didn't check, but there
aren't any in these particular files. One of the messages mentions
that it is available through King Arthur Flour company. It is a hard
wheat and may be more suitable for pasta than bread, but apparently
it was used for bread, especially in Eastern Europe. Along that line,
you might want to check the fd-Poland-msg file. I think I remember
one or more recipes using spelt in the Medieval Polish cookbook that
we've discussed here, before.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net