SC - "Cookie" Cutters

alysk@ix.netcom.com alysk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Sep 8 13:53:40 PDT 2000

>I have a nice heavy latex mini-scallop shell candy mold I use for buttercreams.
>wonder where I might get a few custom made with peachpits?

At good art stores (like the kind you find in cities near art schools, not neccisarily
ACMoore,) you can buy latex for making mask and sculpture molds.  My store of
choice is Pearl Arts and Crafts on South Street in Philly.

The latex is a powder that you mix up.  The stuff I've used turns into a soft
mold.  They might also have some that dries hard.  They have lots of darned
cool stuff.

With the soft stuff, you could fill a dixie cup with the liquid latex and dunk
a peach pit into the center.  When it is set, peel off the cup and cut all the
way or half-way around the pit to pop it out.  So, you could have a one-piece
or two-piece mold.  For something as thick as almond paste, I'm guessing a two-piece
mold would work best.  For something that starts as liquid and ends up solid,
like chocolate or (yuk) Jello, I'd use a one-piece mold.

If you try it, let me know how it works.  I've done mask-making for theatre,
and I've seen this done for sculpture, but I'd never thought to try it for food
before today!

Magdalena