SC - hummus?(and some other stuff)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 11 10:51:36 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/11/00 8:28:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
melcnewt at netins.net writes:

<< Actually the I have asked this question on the Calon-list and was told in
no
 uncertain terms that the Calontir fighters DON'T WANT period foods after the
 battles.  >>

The fighters here seem to enjoy period food, even relish it. Many of them
have even taken their place in the kitchen and even tried their hand at
producing feasts. They frequently request many period dishes with regularity.
Of course, both the Shire's, surrounding shire's and the household's emphasis
on total participation in the SCA experience might contribute to this. I
can't personally think of a local fighter that I know that does not
participate in arts and sciences as much as they do on fighting. The reverse
is also true with non-fighters participating in archery, water bearing and
other military support services. Perhaps it is the emphasis on 'community'
involvement that makes the viewpoint that period food is not good food. It
most certainly is not more expensive.

I don't know. I only know that whenever someone on the list mentions any
local reticence about period food, I, personally, find it odd since such has
never been my experience locally in my entire 18 years in the SCA.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol
http://members.aol.com/AbhainnCG/