SC - TI Article - Support Kitchen

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Sep 11 15:20:58 PDT 2000

Kiri, I was going to respond to you privately rather than take up a lot of list space, but I've managed to be succinct.  Your messages have appeared only recently, and I had not seen most of them before I wrote.  For example, you were not, AFAIR, the first one to suggest the readers, and it was directed at TI articles, not CA (which has had a readers bureau for some time).

And no, Jenna is not someone I consider a friend.  But I have seen the good works of the Support Kitchen in action, and agree with much of what Kateryn said.  I have seen it work for other places, and am trying, slowly, to bring something like that into my area.

I was reacting to the original nasty letters about the article.  Yes, the discussion has evolved somewhat, but I don't think it has turned from its harsh origins and the negative comments of those who looked only at the fact that there were no period foods included, instead of at the tenor of the article as a whole.  And who keep ignoring my statements that IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE, you can write your own article telling how you feed fighters period foodstuffs at a War -- not carrying lunch over during a day event, not meals, and not an opinion of How Things Should Be.  Facts, experiences, solid information.

(Yer Excellency Gunthar, I don't think that pork pies work well when they have to be transported a day and a half to a war.  Not when you need enough to feed eighty people for four days.  As someone else said, it is not Mistress Jenna's lack of trying that nixed period foods, it is the fighters' refusal to eat them.)

(And Jadwiga, the soup is easy -- serve in cups, and the fighters just drink it down!  As far as a MOL kicking up a fuss about bananas, tell her that if she cannot provide concrete scientific information for you, you're not interested in her opinion on the subject, since most scientific information is in the opposite direction.)

                            ---= Morgan