SC - Suggestions & Review Requested.

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Sep 11 18:45:31 PDT 2000

At 2:14 PM -0700 9/8/00, Nisha Martin wrote:

>...I am really seriously thinking about
>feastocrasting for an event coming up. It's still in
>the early planning stages, so I have no idea how many
>people we are talking about, or the theme that kind of
>hting.
>  I've done field kitchens, and helped in the kitchens
>and serving for other people who were feastocratting.
>I'm five months pregnant (with a few minor
>comlications), so I'm not quite sure how much extra
>work I want to take on for right now. It may be better
>for me to wait til after the baby is born
>before I offer to do an event. Can someone give me
>some advice.

I'm afraid this is something that is going to be hard to do for a
long time. By the time this event happens, if it is now in the early
planning stages, you will probably be easily exhausted, have a hard
time either standing or sitting still for a long time, maybe find it
hard to reach the counter(!)... After you have the baby, you will...
have a baby. Which I have found ties one down thoroughly. If you
really want to do this, I suggest you team with someone who is ready
to do the whole thing if you have to drop out suddenly, and involve
yourself more in the planning, testing of recipes, etc., than in the
high-stress running of the kitchen on the day of the event.

On the more general issue of serving as head cook for a feast, we
have an article in our Miscellany, webbed at:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/to_make_a_feast.html

If you have more questions, feel free to ask--either me personally or
the list in general.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook