SC - Suggestions & Review Requested.

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Sep 11 23:57:28 PDT 2000

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa commented:
> Ooh! I'd love to see documentation for modern style pretzels and for
> consumption of raw orange slices out of hand, rather than as part of a
> larger dish.

It may depend on your definition of "modern style pretzels". Afterall,
I can think of major differances today, soft and hard pretzels as
well as variations in coatings - not all are salt. Although what I
learned in a pretzel factory in Pennsylvania was that the hard ones
are just sllowed to bake longer or are left out to dry in a heated
atmosphere.

Until recently, we hadn't had any period pretzel recipes posted here
and the best we could do was point to period pictures of what looked
like pretzels. For some info on these postings take a look at this
file in the FOOD-BREADS section of my files:
pretzels-msg      (19K)  1/14/00    Period pretzels and pretzel-like breads.

However, recently Thomas posted a number of late-period German pretzel
recipes. These are not in the pretzel file currently, but will be when
I get a chance to update it. I have not had time to look at them in
detail, nor try making any, to venture a guess as to whether these
recipes would yield something similar to "modern" pretzels.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net