SC - Radio program on 1527 feast

David Dendy ddendy at silk.net
Mon Sep 11 23:50:37 PDT 2000

Olaf Of Trollhiemsfjord asked for suggestions on the feast he will
be preparing.

Here are some more files in the Florilegium that might be of
use. My appologies if you are already aware of these.

> Mulled Cider-Any suggestions on spices to use?

Perhaps some of the spices mentioned in these files in the
BEVERAGES section:
spiced-wine-msg   (19K)  2/29/00    Spiced wines. Hippocras. Recipes.
wassail-msg       (15K) 12/17/99    Spiced cider and ale drinks. Traditions.

> Sakanyabian from Cariadoc's Misccellany
Or similar type drinks. Check this file, also in the BEVERAGES
section:
jalabs-msg        (48K) 12/ 2/99    Drinks with a sugar or honey-syrup
base such
                                       as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint Drink).

Even if you end up using Master Cariadocs redacted recipe for this,
you may still want to see how other people have varied it or what
troubles they might have had.

> various cheeses- any suggestions on what kind?  I am thinking a goat cheese
> with herbs or if I can find the name of it the cheese from the Charlimange
> & the Bishop story.
This file in the FOOD section does have a number of messages and lists
of what cheeses are thought to be period:
cheese-msg       (144K)  7/27/00    Medieval cheese. Recipes.

> Fritters from Pg 193 of 1000 Eggs-  I plan on cooking them on site during
> the afternoon using a dutch oven with oil over a grill as a treat for the
> kids & thoes shooting.

You might also find some of the suggestions and recipes in this file
in the FOOD section useful:
frittours-msg     (40K) 12/29/99    Period fried breaded foods. Recipes.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net