SC - TI Article - Support Kitchen

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Sep 12 11:57:07 PDT 2000

At 9:13 AM -0400 9/12/00, Jenne Heise wrote:
>  > On the other hand, there is a large gap between "they ate meat pies"
>>  and "this particular meat pie is a period dish." The information
>>  quoted from Domostroi, while interesting, is well short of a clear
>>  recipe. The English sources, on the other hand, do give recipes, so
>>  if you want to make a period meat pie, the recipes are readily
>>  available.
>
>But don't the English sources use pastry dough, rather than bread dough?
>That's how I remember it...

The 13th-15th c. recipes generally don't say what the paste they are
making their coffins out of is. I don't think it is a raised dough,
however. My guess is either a flour/water/fat dough like a modern pie
crust or else a flour/water dough, giving an effect more like tough
pizza crust.

My only real evidence (in favor of the latter version) is that there
are occasionally recipes that specify fat in the dough, which
suggests that the default version doesn't have it, but that isn't
very strong evidence. Does anyone have any better information on what
they used?
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/