SC - Gender Stereotypes - Waaaay OT and OOP

Nicholas Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Thu Sep 14 10:21:04 PDT 2000

> > what is a "doucette"? I'm guessing "a little <something>", but
> > what? A pie of some type?
>
> A doucette is a custard tart in the 14th-15thC English recipe corpus,
> sweetened with honey or sugar, usually colored with saffron, and it may
> or may not have something like marrow added to it, IIRC. It's hard to
> keep track of all those vaguely custardy crustades, flaons, flathonys,
> doucetys, etc.
>
> Adamantius

This was presented as, I think, a doucette. But it was mainly a custard pie
with roast pork. It was delicious but my one complaint about it was that it
was basically savory. HL Elizabeth said she did add honey to the mix but
didn't know how much. There were no raisins added and I would have suggested
a poudre douce sprinkled on the top.

I may have the name wrong, I wasn't taking notes at the feast.

Gunthar