SC - Re: Period cooking?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 14 18:29:03 PDT 2000

Could someone who knows something about this please answer.

Thanks,
Korrin S. DaArdain
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com

- --------- Begin forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 17:13:44 -0700
From: Emily SD Thompson <guineth at juno.com>
Subject: Re: [STEPS] Period cooking?

Just out of curiousity, gentle and noble cousins --

I've read (in sources that are less than entirely trustworthy, alas) that
one way to bake a chicken was to wrap it in leaves, slather the wrapped
bird with clay or plaster, and bake the whole thing. Since this would, if
done right, wind up sealing the bird in an airtight covering with all the
germs dead, it sounded to me as though it would be a good thing to make
for a traveller's dinner, and convenient -- just crack open the baking
shell and brush off the particles and dust, unwrap the bird, and eat.

Does anyone know if this is period? And if it is, has anyone succeeded in
doing it right?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

	Sister Guineth, curious
- --------- End forwarded message ----------