SC - beef vs veal in recipes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Sep 15 06:39:56 PDT 2000

What I have read, and i can't even tell you the sources right now, is that the
upper classes did eat veal, almost to the exclusion of beef.  Beef was usually
eaten only when it was too old to serve the purpose of either providing milk or
standing stud, and was therefore tough and stringy.  It was then eaten mostly by
the lower classes.

Kiri