SC - a perplexing computer problem

Barbara Sall socha at epix.net
Fri Sep 15 09:51:15 PDT 2000

<<<Here is our recipe,

Lucanian Sausage
If you want good Lucanian sausages, cut the lean and fat meat from the pig at
the same time, after all the fibers and sinews have been removed. If the
piece of meat is ten pounds, mix in a pound of salt, two ounces of
well-cleaned fennel, the same amount of half-ground pepper, rub in a leave
for a day on a little table. The next day, stuff into a well-cleaned
intestine and thus hang up in smoke.  >>>>>>

What size grind are you using for your meat?  I find a 3/8 blade is what I prefer, coarse and meaty texture.  I also like the fact that you are testing as you go.  I suspect the lucanian is a very saltly sausage that is eaten in smaller quantities, or maybe as a favoring (sort of like choriz) rather thana brat type meal sausage.

Your brats look great too!  Did you consciously decide not to add fat to this one?  I would suspect it was becasue the recipe did not call for it; I found this recipe a bit dry for my taste without added fat, maybe because my meat was leaner than yours.  I used check and pork shoulder, and about 1/2 pound lard added per pound of meat.

Great looking processes and recipes.  I'm a strong flavored sausage fan, and these look good.  Last question:  Will you use hot or cold smoke when you smoke these?

niccolo difrancesco