SC - food bashing

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 20 05:50:32 PDT 2000

> As a non-Christian mundanely with a non-Christian SCA persona, when
> was the first mass? Noon?

<<<<<<<< IIRC, the first mass was at "matins", morning prayer... pretty much at
sunrise or soon after... although it could last until noon.  but I may be
misremembering and I'm not sure what "period" that would be for.
I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier                 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Matins is indeed the first cannonical hour (at 6am) of the sunlit day, but I do not believe the Eucharistic Rite was performed until the 9am Hour.  There is a rite performed every three hours (as in Cannonical Hours . . . Book of Hours, etc.), but does not always include the full liturgy.  It is the Eucharistic Rite that ends the fasting, and that would be after the aforementioned 9am rituals (IIRC).  AS for the time it took for the rituals, I don't know.  I do know that another began at noon and again at 3pm.  Bells rang on those hours to announce the beginning of the rites of prayer.

fra niccolo difrancesco