SC - Re: SC dried squid

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Sep 20 19:08:10 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/20/2000 9:19:02 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

May I ask why you added the wine to the original recipe?

Mordonna The Cook (yes, I'm back to posting)
<<
 Sweet Spinach Tart

 A Spinnage Tart.  Take a good store of Spinage, and boyl it in a Pipkin,
 with White Wine, till it be
 soft as pap; then take it and strain it well into a pewter dish, not leaving
 any part unstrained; then
 put to it Rose-water, great store of Sugar and cinamon, and boyle it till it
 be thick as Marmalade.
 Then let it coole, and after fill your Coffin and adorn it...

                Gervase Markham
                The English Hous-wife, 1615

 1 pound spinach (fresh or frozen) cleaned and chopped
 1/2 cup white wine
 1 cup water
 1/3 cup sugar (or more)
 1 teaspoon cinnamon

 Boil spinach in wine and 1/2 cup water until very soft.
 Press through a colander or run through a food processor to mince large
 pieces of spinach.
 Combine sugar and 1/2 cup water in a pan  and bring to a boil.
 Stir in spinach and cinnamon.
 Reduce heat to medium and cook until almost dry.
 Put spinach into pie shell.  Cool.

 After cooling the tart can be adorned with fruit, powdered sugar, crystal
 sugar, etc.  One
 tester suggested sliced hardboiled eggs.

 Notes:  One third cup of sugar sweetens the spinach without being cloying.
 A cup of
 sugar would make a thicker syrup and make the spinach closer to the
 marmalade of the
 original recipe.

 One teaspoon of fresh cinnamon provides a nice bite without being
 overpowering.

 Fresh spinach may require additional water or wine in the first boil.  I
 used frozen spinach
 for availability and speed.  I used Malavasia wine, which is fairly strong,
 and cut it with
 water for expedience.  The spinach absorbed much of the liquid.