SC - Cheese and the FDA

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Sep 21 23:04:55 PDT 2000

Ari asked:
>  I'm learning a lot here.  Another question if you all don't
> mind.  I've heard the term 'trencher' used somewhere, but can't remember
> where.  Is that like a hollowed out loaf of bread, where the food is put in,
> like a bowl, and then you can literally 'eat the bowl'?
>
> Ari, who loves this group!

Nope. They were cut out of the loaf of rougher than usual bread as
slices but not simply sliced through the loaf, crust and all, as we
do bread slices. There was apparently a set method and it was considered
an art just as meat carving was. The crust was cut off first then the
trenchers were sliced from the remaining block. There are more exact
directions in the file.

Check this file in the FOOD-BREAD section of my files:
trenchers-msg     (32K)  9/15/99    Wooden and bread trenchers. Plates.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net