SC - rare foods at feasts-rant

Fri Sep 22 08:35:41 PDT 2000

I would point out that leaving the headers lets the reader know who posted
the information, when it was posted, and sometimes their e-mail address at
that time.  This allows one to determine the quality of the source, provides
a temporal reference for changes of opinion, and provides a possible way of
directly contacting the poster for clarification on various points.  I've
used all of these pieces of information when working through the Florilegium
and others have used them to contact me.

It is also the kind of information scholars find useful and since the
Florilegium has put in an appearance in at least one scholar paper, the
headers might be worth leaving just for that reason.

What would be truly useful is an index and cross-reference with hyperlinks,
but that would be a major piece of work and an ongoing headache.

Bear