Feast Fees and Choices(was: Re: SC - rare foods at feasts-rant)

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 22 14:08:02 PDT 2000

Arianne

>IMO, if I go to an event, (which I never have, btw), unless I am strictly
>invited to join in something, I will most likely keep out of the way and
>very small.  Usually, the people are close-knit, and most know each other.
>I end up feeling a bit lost if I go somewhere and don't know anybody.

I understand your feeling, but please, do feel free to ask questions of
anyone about anything. That lady sitting and busily spinning would happily
tell you all about it, and probably offer to teach you. Ditto the lady doing
embroidery or the spectators at the fighting. And if all else fails, you
already have a fall back plan:  go to the kitchen.  I'd say an important
going-to-event item for shy people is a good apron. They always need help in
the kitchen, preparing feast is a group effort, and while peeling or
chopping or washing up, you'll get to know people.

Bonne