Sweetened Butter? (was Re: SC - Harvest Moon Shoot proposed menu)

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 22 14:26:23 PDT 2000

niccolo difrancesco (should it be fra niccolo?) said:
<< I have not done the obligatory run through the September issue of Our
kingdom newsletter in Meridies, Popular Chivalry, but the last 6 events I
attended all had an option in the flyers, and at the door, to attend
off-board for a reduced fee.  I recommend you check that option for any
event you attend in Meridies as it is customary if not Law.  >>

Thanks!  that's the information I was looking for.  So it looks very much
like the swing has gone strongly from having the event be feast inclusive
to having the feast and event fees be seperate.  That sounds like a very
good thing to me, as it seems to both ensure choice *and* to ensure that
the amount of the event budget designated for the feast is specific and
stable (not necessarily true in my day where the Autocrat might ask you in
the last days to trim your budget if s/he wasn't making his/hers.)

<<Ras, as well as many cooks in Meridies make the menues available prior to
the event in order to afford informed choice.  If one is disposed to food
preferences or non-preferences, it would fall to the consumer to check the
product purveyed. >>

This sounds like a *very good thing* and a very considerate thing to do
when the custom is to serve things "off board" and onboard as it does allow
for a more informed choice.

<< I as a cook can and always will make reasonable effort to advertise my
wares, but really cannot be reasonably expected to contact each individual
who plops down a crisp $5 bill to make sure they are satisfied with the
meal . . . let alone everyone who expresses passing interest in my meal.  I
will strain to my last energy to be generously hospitable, but have
professional and personal standards that must also be assuaged.  The
precarious balance that defines the cook, in my own humble estimation.   >>

and imminently reasonable, IMNSHO.

<<The last feast I did with Lady Cailtin had a total of 27 different
recipes cooked, comprising 3 courses of 3-5 dishes (plus sauces) each plus
a 'sampling' dish for each course, plus a substantial appetizer table set,
and dessert course.  If they didn't get food to eat, I suspect it to be
their fault.>>

See... this is part of what confuses me!  I know I'm an old timer and out
of touch, but *all* the feasts that I've ever attended, with the exceptions
of those for the very smallest event, had a very wide variety of dishes and
sufficient food was always served to satisfy (and sometimes enough to
satiate to a point of begging that the food stop), so the idea that folks
don't *like* feasts is befuddling to me.  The smallest feast I've ever done
was 7 dishes served in 3 "removes" (as we called them back then) and that
was for a small, 30 person or so one day figher practice/event.  The
average for feasts of over 100 used to be anywhere from 15-21 dishes... and
sometimes more (although 18 or 19 is usually about when they start begging
<g>)

In fact, perhaps this is a Southern thing, but one of the biggest problems
we had seemed to be that people felt that they had to eat a little of
*everything* even if they were beginning to be full.  (I know in my own
case that this was partly because I wanted to *taste* all of the wonderful
and different food more than because I felt that it was necessary for
politeness <s>.)

<<Bottom line:  Once you pay your $5, you are trusting me to provide the
satisfactory meal.  If I don't , let me know and/or don;t trust me with
your food money again.  If you don't complain to me first, then don't dare
complain!  (And you had better have told me about food alergies before hand
if you want sympathy)>>

exactly!  and to me "it was not to my taste" is not a legitimate complaint.
there are many things which are simply not to my taste.  i often try things
at restaurants and find that they are "not to my taste".  they may be
perfectly prepared and well presented, and I know the difference, but I
simply don't like them... that's *not* the cook's (who has done a perfectly
good job) fault and shouldn't be handled that way.  (Luckily for me my
husband and I have divergent tastes, so if I don't like it he probably
will, so when we are feeling adventurous we usually get one new dish and
one safe dish and split if needed... but I digress <s>.)

I see no reason to disagree with any of your points and most certainly a
guest has as much responsibility for courtesy and hospitality as the host
does.  One can certainly not reasonably expect their needs to be met if one
has not made those needs know, eh?

Thank you again, as always, for your contribution!

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier