SC - Re: SC- feast options was rant

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 25 09:41:18 PDT 2000

> vanish in a matter of minutes. Got REALLY upset the time several knights
> came in and loaded up a sheet pan with lunch (for what I'd conservatively
> estimate at 30), and then took it out to the field. No asking, just came &
> got it. Major surprise for me, of course, when I went to check on the lunch
> situation. None of them had bought feast, BTW, and didn't bother bringing
> back the sheet pan or other utensils.

Well, we solve that by serving lunch on the field.
My worst experience was having made 350 sausage/cheese/mushroom rolls for
an event with an expected attendance of 250-300. These were about the size
of a small woman's fist. I had people taking three and putting three on
their kid's plates... which of course got thrown out since the kid
couldn't eat THREE of them. After that I tended to go overboard with
quantities and practice portion control by putting out only a small number
of anything at a time.

>     Now, unless the autocrat specifically tells me that he wants other meals
> (and gives me budget for them),

Bah! If there is no budget for other meals-- and the autocrat expects you
to serve 'em--, don't serve 'em! We budget at least $100 for dayboard (and
up, I don't even KNOW what the budget is for the dayboard for the
800-person event, but it's hefty, probably at least $350), and $50-$100
for simple breakfasts. Sunday morning breakfasts are a big blowout:
sausage gravy, eggs, onions, peppers, mushrooms, biscuits (apologies to
Ras and Cariadoc, but that's what my shire does and people who come to the
two summer events have come to expect...), fruit, etc etc and some
breakfast cooks even serve cold cereal and milk (which I don't like, it's
wasteful). But then, in my shire, each meal is done by a separate cook so
nobody explodes. And for the summer event, we have 2 kitchens available,
which helps a lot.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"And you, to whom adversity has dealt the final blow
With smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go
Turn to, and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain
And like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again."