SC - Dayboard?

Susan Browning swbro at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 26 22:05:42 PDT 2000

>Did you see the letter in Saturday's paper to Dear Abby/Ann about the
>woman whose in-laws don't refrigerate their mayonnaise? Ann/Abby (don't
>know which- they're twins!) contacted Kraft and they said it was
>probably ok but they wouldn't recommend it. I thought it was scary,
>frankly...
>
>'Lainie

According to food safety documentation i've read, commercially made
mayo has a higher acid content than homemade and is safer to leave
out as the high acid content makes it a poor host for bacteria.

Homemade spoils much more quickly as it is less acidic and therefore
a better host to bacteria that cause problems, such as intestinal
upset or death. This is also, theoretically at least, because a home
kitchen is not as hygienic as a commercial kitchen and bacteria can
be introduced while it's being made, from utensils, etc.

When people get sick eating food that's been made with commercial
mayo, it usually isn't cuz the mayo spoiled but because the fish or
chicken was an excellent bacteria host.

Anahita