SC - Re: Master of the Hall?

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 27 08:54:16 PDT 2000

Nicholas Sasso wrote:

> It's as if you could remove the starch, water, and sugar from a quart of MW and get 2/3 of a quart of mayo. It seems to take some of the steam out of Kraft's
> claim that MW was created as a cost-cutting measure, unless once upon a
> time their mayo was more like the real thing.
> Adamantius  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> The copst crux seems to be in the oil.  It is the most voluminous item.  I am looking on the 'Net for a cost comparison type thing to see what the relative vegetable oil cost was back in '30's vs. now.  My hypothesis is that vegetable oils were less common (think lard) and more expensive to use as ingredient.  Will find out as soon as I can and post info.

I've found you can write to a real, live human via the same site you got
the historical info from, and they actually respond quite helpfully
within a couple of days. That's how I got the info on egg-to-oil ratios.

Which only has me more confused, BTW, as I determined that in my area,
MW is actually noticably more pricey than mayo, by about 40 cents per
quart jar.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy