SC - Re: Master of the Hall?

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 27 09:07:29 PDT 2000

> I agree with you, but want to add an addendum.  If, for some realistic reason,
> this does happen (i.e. an assistant doesn't realize the implications of just
> adding a handful of leftover chopped onions,) I don't think anyone would be
> offended if you stood at the head of the hall and made an announcement of the
> fact.

One thing I've seen done is to have the servers recite the ingredients of
things as they are served, along iwth the name of the dish. This gets
around things that people wouldn't think of, and newbies who wouldn't
think to ask.

(Dumb newbie story: when I was new, I realized after I had eaten
some of a dish that the unrecognizible reddish blobs decorating it were
pieces of cooked beet. The only previous experience I had had with beets
was as an infant, when the results were spectacular enough that my mother
never served them to me again... Beets are rarely included as an
ingredient in foods in [my] mundane world, so it never occured to my
newbie self even to think of it. I spent the rest of the feast worrying
about the possibility of projectile vomiting all over the hall!
Fortunately, it turned out I'm not allergic to beets after all... *grin*)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"And you, to whom adversity has dealt the final blow
With smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go
Turn to, and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain
And like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again."