SC - Chocolate Drink - 1615

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 27 11:49:02 PDT 2000

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Has anyone here heard of such a thing as decaffeinated or
> caffeine-free chocolate?
>
> I've encountered a mother who is looking for it for her caffeine
> sensitive daughter. Carob as a substitute has been suggested...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Anahita al-shazhiyya
> ========

According to the Chocolate Manufacturers Association National Confectioners
Association <http://www.candyusa.org/chocstry.html>

"Chocolate and Caffeine

The amount of caffeine ingested when people eat
chocolate in normal quantities is very small.
1.4 ounces of milk chocolate, for example,
contains about 6 milligrams of caffeine, about
the same as the amount found in a cup of
decaffeinated coffee. Thus, the role of caffeine
in chocolate is largely a non-issue."

I'd worry more about the amount of sugar I was feeding a child than the caffein
in the chocolate.

Selene
selene at earthlink.net