SC - Lebonese sweets

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 27 12:43:09 PDT 2000

>Of course, liver is very much a matter of personal taste, so perhaps some
>others will share their recipes and opinions.
>
>Bear

I cook it as my mother did: as you said, Calves liver is preferred.  Beef or
Pork liver are too strong.  Lambs liver is nice if you can find it.  Begin
by frying bacon and remove to drain, fry onions and remove to drain, dredge
the liver in peppered flour and fry just until done.  Serve each slice of
liver with a pile of browned onion and crumble bacon over it. She did not
make a sauce from the pan drippings, but liver was almost the only dish we
kids were allowed to drown in ketchup and worcestershire sauce. All 5 of us
grew to adulthood liking liver and eventually adding little or no bottled
sauce to it.  I've tried the same technique with my girls, but as I don't
serve it as regularly as my mother did, they don't seem to be out-growing
the over-saucing habit.  Oh well.  It's still good nutrition in there
somewhere.

Once in a while Tony speaks longingly of steak and kidney pie, so I've been
trying to work up a liking for kidneys.  The best I can do is to think they
taste like really strong flavored liver, and pour a lot of ketchup over it.
Maybe after 18 years I'll like it?

Bonne