SC - Chocolate Drink - 1615

harper@idt.net harper at idt.net
Wed Sep 27 20:03:46 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 27 Sep 00, , that Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> Of course, liver is very much a matter of personal taste, so perhaps some
> others will share their recipes and opinions.
>
> Bear

Personally, the only kind of liver I can tolerate is Jewish-style
chopped (chicken) liver.  But my lord husband loves it fried with
onions, and orders it in restaurants now and then.  Anyway, for
those who do like the stuff, here's a period recipe:

Source: Ruperto de Nola, _Libro de Guisados_ (Spanish, 1529)
Translation: Lady Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann)

Vinegar Which is Marinated Liver
VINAGRE QUE ES HIGADO ADOBADO

Take onions, and cut them very small, like fingers, and fry them gently
with fatty bacon; and then take the liver of a kid or a lamb or a goat and
cut them into slices the size of a half walnut, and fry it gently with the
onion until the liver loses its color; then take a crustless piece of toasted
bread soaked in white vinegar, and grind it well, and dissolve it with
sweet white wine; and then strain it through a woolen cloth; and then
cast it over the onion and the liver, all together in the casserole; and cast
in ground cinnamon; and cook until it is well thickened and when it is
cooked, prepare dishes.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann